Financial support after stroke

A stroke may have an impact on your financial situation. You and your family may experience financial difficulties, especially if you can't work or have to pay for specialist equipment or changes to your living arrangements. Financial help is available and there is also support to help you access the information and complete any relevant forms. It is important to make sure that you get all the help you need to prevent additional stress and anxiety.


The benefits system can be complicated and you may be entitled to benefits that you are not aware of. Every individual’s situation is different and it can be helpful to speak to a specialist in financial benefits such as your social worker, a welfare rights officer, Citizens Advice Bureau, local carers centre or a money advice centre. You or someone who cares for you could be entitled to benefits including Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you are under 65, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Working Tax Credit and more.

Information about all benefits can be found at

Self-directed support

Self-directed support allows you to choose how support is provided to you by giving you as much ongoing control as you want over the individual budget spent on your support. More information can be found on the self-directed support website

Personal Support Grants

CHSS also has a personal support grants programme to support those living with long-term chest, heart or stroke conditions who are experiencing financial difficulty. This is to help fund part of any item or service which cannot be funded in full from other sources such as the NHS or social work departments. Applications must be made through a sponsor such as health professional or social worker. Grant limits usually range from £350 – £750, although larger grants can be considered under special circumstances. Find further information on our Personal Support Grants page or by emailing or calling 0131 225 6963.