This page has a selection of study links that could be useful to anyone studying in the fields of chest, heart or stroke. More specific links can be found in the following pages:
General study resources
- Electronic Libraries, Databases and Other Resources
- Government Publications
- Risk Factors / Lifestyle
- Palliative Care
Based on clinical evidence for patients from the BMJ.
Collection of databases in medicine and other healthcare specialties provided by the Cochrane Collaboration and other organisations.
To access academic papers.
Health Improvement Scotland
Health body formed in 2011 which helps NHS Scotland and independent healthcare providers deliver high quality, evidence-based, safe, effective and person–centred care. They also scrutinise services to provide public assurance about the quality and safety of that care.
Health Scotland Library
Health Scotland provides a lending service for books, videos and training materials to anyone in Scotland interested in health improvement.
The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library.
NHS Clinical Knowledge Summaries
A source of clinical knowledge for the NHS about the common conditions managed in primary care.
The NHS Evidence service aims to provide easy access to a comprehensive evidence base for everyone in health and social care who takes decisions about treatments or the use of resources thus improving health and patient care. Incorporates The NHS Evidence Health Information Resources website (formerly the National Library for Health).
NHS Scotland Clinical Decisions
Clinical Decisions strives to provide access to high quality resources to help healthcare staff provide patient care based on the best available evidence.
NHS Scotland Knowledge Network
Online information service, providing high quality knowledge support to underpin effective health care delivery and support the patient journey.
Requires ATHENS username and password. This provides access to password protected content - over 5000 full text journals, 80 databases and 5000 electronic books.
Patient UK: Patient Plus
Patient Plus is an extension to Patient UK, covering a wide range of medical subjects in more detail.
PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 18 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals.
Social Services Knowledge Scotland (SSKS)
SSKS is a gateway to a wealth of information and learning materials to support practitioners in day to day work and in learning.
The Knowledge Network
The Knowledge Network platform is the national knowledge management platform for health and social care delivered by the Knowledge Services Group. It provides high quality knowledge support for delivery of health and social care.
Aims to bring together all the 'evidence-based' healthcare resources available on the internet.
An anatomy atlas, requires free registration.
Government and policy documents
For help in understanding the language of these documents please use the Glossary.
- Scottish Stroke Care Audit 2015 National Report (PDF)
- Heart Disease Improvement Plan (2014)
- Stroke Improvement Plan (2014)
- Your Health, Your Rights: The Charter of Patient Rights and Responsibilities (2012) (PDF)
- Charter for people living with stroke in Scotland (2013)
- Reshaping Care for Older People: a Programme for Change (2011 – 2012) (PDF)
- Achieving Sustainable Quality In Scotland’s Healthcare 20 20 vision (2011) (PDF)
- The Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Cities Strategy set out her strategic vision for achieving sustainable quality in the delivery of healthcare services across Scotland.
- A Route Map to the 2020 Vision for Health and Social Care (2013) (PDF)
- Supporting People to Self Manage (2012) NES (PDF)
- Scottish Government National Performance Framework (Dec 2011) (PDF)
- Five Strategic Objectives
- Safer Stronger
- Five Strategic Objectives
- National Care Standards
- Commission on the Future Delivery of Public Services
The Christie Commission (2011)
- Helping People Help Themselves
The Health Foundation (2011). A review of the evidence considering whether it is worthwhile to support Self Management
- The Healthcare Quality Strategy for NHS Scotland (PDF)
- Delivering Quality in Primary Care National Action Plan (PDF)
The Scottish Government (2010)
- Caring Together: The Carers Strategy for Scotland 2010 – 2015 The Scottish Government (2010)
- Better Heart Disease and Stroke Care Action Plan (2009) (PDF) This action plan aims to offer comprehensive coverage of all the issues relating to heart disease and stroke and sets out a clear list of focused pieces of work for taking forward the next phase of the work in tackling the burden of heart disease and stroke.
- Long Term Conditions Collaborative: Improving Self Management Support(2009)
- Gaun Yersel: The Self Management Strategy for Long Term Conditions in Scotland (PDF) Launched in 2008 by the then Long Term Conditions Alliance Scotland (LTCAS)and the Scottish Government, the Self Management Strategy is informed by the lived experiences of people with long term conditions.
- Better Health Better Care (2007) This Action Plan sets out the Government’s programme to deliver a healthier Scotland by helping people to sustain and improve their health, especially in disadvantaged communities, ensuring better, local and faster access to health care.
Alcohol Information Scotland
Disseminates Scottish (national and local) information, statistics and research relating to alcohol misuse. Managed by the Information Services Division, NHS National Services Scotland.
ASH Scotland is the leading charity campaigning for effective tobacco control legislation in Scotland.
British Nutrition Foundation
Resource for scientifically based nutritional knowledge and advice.
Food Standards Agency (FSA)
Advice, information, reports and publications concerning healthy eating.
Raising awareness of a range of healthy living issues for the well being of Scotland and its communities.
Tobacco Information Scotland
Tobacco Information Scotland (TIS) is a new initiative from the ASH Scotland.
- Living and Dying Well: A national action plan for palliative and end of life care in ScotlandScottish Government, Edinburgh 2008
- Gold Standards Framework
- The Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT)
- The Supportive and Palliative Care Action Register
- The Key Information Summary
- NHS Palliative Care Guidelines
- NHS Education Scotland Palliative Care in Practice
- End of Life Care for All
- Scottish Partnership for Palliative Care
- The Scottish Grief and Bereavement Hub
- Good Life, Good Death, Good Grief