As well as the medical treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) there is a lot you can do to help yourself and manage your condition.
One of the most important things is to learn about what symptoms are ‘normal’ for you and how to recognise if things are getting worse. Prompt treatment can stop you becoming very unwell and needing hospital treatment for an acute exacerbation.
Other ways in which you can help yourself to keep as well as possible include:
- Stop smoking (if you are a smoker)
- Keep up-to-date with your vaccinations
- Main a healthy weight
- Eat a healthy diet
- Keep as active as possible
- Attend pulmonary rehabilitation classes
- Ask for support if you need it
- Reduce your risk of getting a chest infection