- Coronary heart disease is one of Scotland's biggest killers.
- Stroke is the main cause of disability in the community.
- Chest illnesses of various kinds are the biggest single reason people use the health service.
Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland improves the quality of life for people in Scotland affected by chest, heart and stroke illness, through medical research, influencing public policy, advice and information and support in the community.
We are Scotland's Health Charity
- We fund research into all aspects of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and the social impact of chest heart and stroke illness. Our current programme is worth more than
- CHSS does not fund research which uses animals.
Care And Support
- We provide care and support throughout Scotland for people affected by these conditions, as well as their families and other carers. More than 1,200 people affected by stroke, especially those with communication problems, benefit from our main community service, the Communication Support Service (CSS) and 800 volunteers help operate it locally.
- The Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland Advice Line offers a direct link to confidential, professional advice from trained nurses. This is backed up by our Health Information Team Department with booklets, factsheets, DVDs and videos, available free to patients and carers in Scotland. Our health professionals provide specialist advice and training to particular groups with specific needs. More than 100 local chest heart and stroke clubs are affiliated to Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland and our Community Support Network brings practical help and advice to those whose need is greatest.
- Our personal support grant programme to help patients and their families with some of the practicalities of living with a debilitating illness. Our specialist Benefits Advice Service is reaching a growing number of those in need.
- To maintain and expand our vital work in research and community services, we rely almost entirely on the continuing generosity of the Scottish public, business and community organisations. Every pound we raise in Scotland is spent on research and services in Scotland. To help us view our fundraising pages.